Temp-to-hire staffing (also known as try-before-hire or temp-to-perm) lets you try out a candidate on-the-job before extending an offer for direct employment.
Instead of being hired as your full-time employee right away, an employee is first hired by your staffing service. Then, he is assigned to work at your company as a temporary. During a probationary period (usually 10 weeks), you get to evaluate the temporary employee’s job performance and decide whether he or she should be hired full-time or let go.
The service is good for your business.
Here are just a few of the advantages it affords:
- Working interview. Temp-to-hire allows you to evaluate characteristics that can’t easily be observed through a traditional interview, such as: ability to follow directions; culture fit; quality of work; work ethic; ability to multi-task or work under pressure.
- Evaluate long-term hiring need. If you’re hiring to address recent growth or a newly created position, temp-to-hire gives you the time to verify that the position is absolutely necessary – before adding to your permanent headcount.
- Reduced hiring time. Temp-to-hire candidates have been pre-screened by your staffing partner and qualified to match the needs of your opening. This reduces your recruiting and interviewing time, so you can focus on your other priorities.
- No obligation to hire. When you use temp-to-hire services, you are not required to hire a candidate the staffing service sends you, even after you interview that candidate.
- Decreased legal exposure. If a temp-to-hire candidate isn’t working out, you can end the assignment at any time. Because the candidate remains an employee of your staffing service, your legal exposure is minimized.
And it’s good for the recovery, too.
Although unemployment is back below 7%, millions of people are still out of work. And the longer someone is unemployed (even if it’s through no fault of his own), the harder it is for him to get re-hired.
The ranks of the unemployed include smart people with decades of experience, advanced degrees and in-demand skills – in other words, great job candidates! Temp-to-hire provides a path to direct employment for these individuals, allowing them to demonstrate their talents and work ethic while earning good money.
Bottom line, temp-to-hire is a win-win for Middle TN companies and job seekers alike.
Want to learn more?
As one of the leading Cool Springs employment agencies, it’s our job to help you use staffing to your greatest business advantage. Contact Wood Personnel today to learn more about our temp-to-hire services for Middle TN employers.