The secret’s out: the right nutrition can boost your focus, memory, cognitive functioning and even mood!
For years, we’ve known about the connection between good nutrition and athletic performance. But recent research supports an equally strong connection between a healthy diet and great work performance.
So are you feeding your brain what it needs? Consider adding the following nutrients to your diet:
- Monounsaturated Fats. These “good for you” fats contribute to healthy blood flow in the brain, offering a tasty way to fuel mental processes. Consume more avocados, sunflower/safflower oils and almonds.
- Vitamin E. This essential vitamin may help preserve cognitive functioning as we age. Add a few servings of nuts and seeds to your diet each week to get more vitamin E.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids. These compounds slow mental decline and may play a vital role in enhancing memory as we age. Add salmon, walnuts or ground flax seeds to your diet.
- Tyrosine. Tyrosine creates epinephrine and norepinephrine, which regulate mood, alertness and attention span. Seaweed, eggs and cottage cheese are all excellent sources.
- H2O. Most of realize that good old water is essential for your muscles – but it’s also essential for proper cognitive functioning. When you’re dehydrated, your brain tissue actually shrinks (and so does your IQ!).
- Tryptophan. In a high-stress environment, this helps improve mood and lower levels of the stress hormone, cortisol. Try chicken, soybeans, and yes – turkey.
- Anthocyanin. Thought to be responsible for neuron protection, this powerful antioxidant may enhance both learning and memory. Blueberries, tart cherries and pomegranates are all good sources.
- Choline. Choline is involved in the body’s production of acetylcholine, a neurotransmitter that boosts memory. Healthy options include wheat germ and eggs.
- Caffeine. Thank goodness, right? While it’s not a “nutrient,” moderate amounts of caffeine can energize you and boost your mental acuity. Coffee and dark chocolate are popular choices.
The moral of this post? To be a better manager, feed your brain! Add these essential nutrients to your diet, and give your mind what it needs to perform at its best, every day.
Another great way to boost your performance? Get the support you need. As one of the leading staffing services in Nashville TN, Wood Personnel can quickly provide exceptional temporary employees or direct hire candidates – saving you time, money and headaches. Contact us today to discuss your staffing requirements.