Alright, let’s settle this debate once and for all:
When it comes to productivity, who has the advantage – morning people or night owls? Everyone’s heard the proverb “the early bird gets the worm,” but that phrase was coined centuries ago. Since then, our economy has evolved from an agrarian to an industrial to a technological one – and much of the work we complete as a society can be done any time of day.
So while early risers used to have a distinct advantage on the farm, in the factory or in the office, that’s not necessarily the case any longer.
In the modern workplace, who really has a productivity advantage?
For the reasons listed below, it might be the night owl:
- They have energy peaks that naturally occur in the evening. If you think that energy levels slowly deplete during the day until you’re tired and ready to go to sleep, think again. According to one study, night owls have a unique energy peak in the evening. Unlike early risers, who never have an extra burst of energy anytime during the day, night owls show an increase of motor cortex and spinal cord excitability around 9 p.m. This helps them maintain focus much later than morning people.
- They can concentrate better after long hours. A study conducted by scientists from Belgium and Switzerland showed that, while both types of people have similar initial productivity and concentration levels, early birds start lagging behind after 10 hours.
- They can adapt to an early bird’s schedule – if they have to. Lots of night owls have a job which requires them to work early in the morning. Luckily, they have a much easier time than their early morning counterparts when it comes to adapting their schedule.
Should you go out and replace all your early risers with night owls? Absolutely not. Morning people still have many positive attributes which correlate with success. Research cited in Forbes.com shows that morning people:
- Are more proactive and better planners – using their morning “quiet time” to organize, set goals and map out their activities.
- Anticipate problems and minimize them efficiently, translating into greater success in the business world.
- Get up early to exercise – which boosts mood and energy on the job, while creating deeper sleep cycles.
Whether you need early risers or night owls, Wood Personnel provides hard-working, optimistic and productive people to help you get more done. Contact our Lebanon employment agency to learn more about our staffing services.