It’s vacation time!
But perhaps finances are a bit tight. Or, maybe a family member’s schedule is too hectic for them to take a full week off work. Heck, maybe the thought of packing and traveling just doesn’t appeal to you.
None of these things should stop you from enjoying your vacation days.
Jetting off to an exotic resort isn’t the only way for you to unwind, recharge and have an amazing time. A “staycation” can be just as fun! In fact, staycations are actually better than vacations in a number of ways:
- You don’t waste two days packing, traveling and unpacking.
- You get to sleep in the comfort of your own bed.
- If the weather’s lousy, you still have great options in your back pocket – and won’t feel like you wasted your time and money.
If you decide on a staycation this year, here’s how to get the most out of it (without spending a ton):
- Disconnect. Turn on your “out of office” email. Turn off your phone’s ringer. And get off the grid. Banish the sources of stress that continually remind you of work commitments. Then, encourage your family members to disconnect, too.
- Establish ground rules. To make your staycation feel more like a real vacation, set the stage for fun and relaxation. Limit technology usage. Focus on being fully present (i.e., not worrying about work or other stressors). Give priority to spending time together as a family. And, of course, no indoor or outdoor chores!
- Brainstorm ideas. You don’t need to completely script your staycation, but a little planning goes a long way. Get together with your family and make a list of activity options (see the categories below). Creating a plan will ensure you have great activities ready for when you want to go do something (and reservations for the activities that require them). If you prefer more spontaneity, jot down your ideas and put them in a jar. Then, take turns picking the activity each day.
Need some staycation inspiration?
Consider these options:
- Cultural ideas:
- online virtual museum tour
- local science, art, history or children’s museums
- plays or concerts
- Family ideas:
- organize a family reunion
- invite friends or relatives to visit
- explore your family tree online
- Outdoor ideas:
- state or national parks
- hiking or biking
- sporting events
- mini golf
- zip lining or ropes course
- camp out (at a park or in your own back yard)
- Rainy day ideas:
- movie fest (at home or the theater)
- spa day (at home or the salon)
- laser tag or trampoline center
- escape room (appropriate for teens and adults)
- artist-for-a-day center
- camp in (make a fort in the living room)
Have another great way to enjoy a staycation? Leave us a comment below. And from all of us at your Cool Springs staffing service, enjoy your time away from work!