Why do you deserve this job?
What makes you the ideal candidate for this position?
Why should we hire you?
Regardless of the phrasing, you’ll field a question like this in your next job interview. Your mission? Leave no doubt in the interviewer’s mind that you’re the best person for the job. Below, our Murfreesboro staffing firm explains how to do just that:
Arm yourself with knowledge. Research the employer online (beyond what’s listed on the company website). Learn what you can about their strategic goals, mission and key business challenges. Once you’re in the interview, explain how, once hired, your contributions will help the employer meet those challenges and achieve their goals.
Answer the right question. The interviewer didn’t ask why you want the job; they asked why you deserve the job. Make sure your response addresses the merits, qualifications and qualities that make you most deserving – and not merely the aspects of the position or employer you find appealing. Here are a few tips to ensure your response is on-point:
- Prepare a list of your top five qualifications (e.g., awards, internships, relevant courses, specific skill sets).
- Rank them in terms of importance/relevance for the job.
- Using the job posting for reference, prepare two sets of examples:
- how you have used those qualifications (i.e., proof);
- how you will use those qualifications if you’re given the opportunity, and the value you will provide.
- Choose the top three for your answer. Keep the last two in your “back pocket,” should the interviewer probe further.
Showcase your culture fit. To round out your response, explain how your personality and work ethic are a great match for the organization, as well as how passionate you are about the opportunity. While culture fit isn’t necessarily a reason you deserve a job, it is an important compensating factor that could tip the scales in your favor.
Find a job you deserve – and love.
Whatever is in your future – administrative/office support, industrial & warehouse or technical & management jobs – our Middle TN recruiters will be right by your side, giving you the support you need.