There are less than seven weeks left in the year.
And for many Middle Tennessee employers, it’s the BUSIEST time of year.
So, why would we be writing a post about encouraging employees to take time off?
It’s simple: Research proves it’s good for business.
According to Project: Time Off, employees who take all their earned vacation have a 6.5% higher chance of getting a raise or promotion. Translation? Employees who vacation are more successful on the job.
So…why aren’t your employees taking time away?
They may be too afraid of the consequences. A survey by Glassdoor showed that:
- 17% of employees gave up vacation time out of fear of losing their job;
- 19% hoped it would increase their chances for a promotion;
- 13% wanted to outperform their coworkers.
They pay too high a price. If an employee can’t trust anybody else to do their job, or if they know they’ll return to a mountain of work problems, planning time away might seem like it’s more trouble than it’s worth.
The moral of today’s post?
Take the lead – and pave the way for real employee vacations:
- Be explicit. Tell your team what you mean by “a real vacation” (hint: a 3-day weekend is not a vacation) – and that you don’t want them checking email or voicemail. Explain why it’s important for them to truly disconnect, mentally recharge and enjoy guilt-free time away from work.
- Create policies that support your message, so employees have an easier time getting their work covered.
- Keep track of the time off they take. If you see that someone has accrued significant time off – and hasn’t planned to take it – give them a gentle reminder.
- Use positive peer pressure. Make vacation-planning and tracking a public, celebrated activity in your organization. Build a culture in which employees encourage one another to take real vacations.
- Set the example. Make sure you take your vacation, too! Your employees will follow your lead.
Need temporary coverage for year-end employee vacations?
Give our Cool Springs staffing service (or your local Wood Personnel office) a call! We’re here to provide reliable, qualified people who will keep your business running smoothly when your team needs well-deserved time off.