As an employer, you can work with your employees to take the rest of the year head-on and plan for career growth. To guide your employees toward their future endeavors, just follow these tips from one of the leading staffing agencies in Nashville, Franklin, Gallatin, Lebanon, and Murfreesboro, TN—and help employees set SMART goals.
What is a SMART Goal?
When it comes to goal setting, the best plan is one that’s clear. That’s what SMART goals are all about! The word is an acronym that stands for: Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, and Timely. SMART goals are a tool for setting goals that are easier to achieve because they’re clear and actionable.
How to Help Employees Set SMART Goals
The easiest way to start is to have a conversation with each employee. Regular one-on-one meetings are a must to help your workers stay focused and on track. Then, talk about what they want from their future—this is the first step in planning goals to get there. To help employees set goals using the SMART format, follow these guidelines:
- Specific—the goal itself should be clear and identify all the basics: who, what, when, where, why, and how.
- Measurable—how will the employee know once they have achieved the goal? It helps to set a numeric measure to help determine success.
- Achievable—a goal should be something the employee can reasonably accomplish. “Win the lottery” is much harder to achieve than “Learn to speak another language.”
- Relevant—a career goal should, of course, be directly applicable to the employee’s career. If not, it will be harder for them to keep focus and work on it.
- Timely—by when does the employee plan to achieve the goal? Setting a timeline for achievement gives a framework for deadlines for each step.
If You Plan for Success, You Often Achieve It!
The most successful people in the world set and work toward goals—it’s the best way to keep moving toward the future. By helping your employees set SMART goals, you’re encouraging productivity and growth. Plus, when people feel they are accomplishing things, it can be incredibly motivating.
In Need of More Staff?
As your employees increase their skills, you may find them advancing—and this leaves you in need of more staff to backfill positions. One of the best, and easiest, ways to staff up is by working with a staffing agency, and Wood Personnel Services can help. To learn more about our available services and all the ways we can help, contact us today!